Let us begin with B-day #1. On the 15th, my friend Shera and I (also celebrating her b-day) got together with a few of our best friends and had a fun sushi dinner at Seau's in Mission Valley. Good food, good company and well, what else do you need?
(Check back for a picture)
Thursday was my first day of class. Fun right? I got to spend my actual birthday at work all day followed by 3 hours of class in the evening. What class you might ask? Well, I've decided to get the Project Management Certificate that's offered through UCSD's Extension program. I tinkered with the idea of going back for a Master's degree but I just had no idea what I'd study. And truth be told, I just don't feel that motivated. BUT, I've got the time so I figured I may as well do something...like boost the resume. The 27 units required shouldn't take more than 2 years. Anywhos, the class I'm in now is just an intro to PM and doesn't seem too hard. Interestingly enough, I'm also (significantly) the youngest one in the class...and it's strange...in a strange way...can't decide if I like it or not. We'll see how tonight goes!
Back to the B-day celebrations. On Friday night Ian took me out, just the two of us, to Island Prime on Shelter Island. For our wedding, we'd gotten a gift card to the Cohn Restaurant Group and figured we ought to use it on a primo place we're probably never go to "just because". Here's my review:
Drinks - GOOD. I had two martinis: one pomegranate something or other and another concoction made with pineapple infused vodka. Ian had boring beer.
Oh lookie here, I'll just take the descriptions straight from the website...
Appetizer - a study in lobster (lobster tostada, lobster-sherry bisque, lobster-fontina grilled cheese) The lobster was excellent, as was the grilled cheese. The tostada was ehh...a tostada.
Salad - we split the blt wedge (seeded baguette, smoked bacon, buttermilk-maytag blue cheese) since we had so much food. This salad was YUM and Ian devoured his part in about two seconds. Well, it seemed that way at least, being that I was busy trying to twitter my martini. lol (Ian got me *I got myself* and iphone)
Entree - For him, the New York Strip and for me, the Filet Mignon (Oscar Style). Both cuts of meat were nicely done except that we agreed they were a tad on the salty side. And we likey the salt. So that was a bit disappointing but what made up for the decent meat was the potato gratin. Mmmm mmm goodness.

Sorry, that's a bad pic from my phone, in the dark.
Desert - No thank you. I know, shocking for me right? We were so stuffolad tho.
It was a great meal. I will say; however, next time we're splurging for steak, we'll head to Ruth's Chris because we've yet to have a meal there that wasn't beyond amazing. It'd be fun to go for drinks and apps as Island Prime though -- or even to eat. I'd be super happy with a salad and a good hearty side dish!
Ok, to round out my B-day festivities, my family headed to Sunday brunch at 94th Aero Squadron. (Someone has a picture somewhere that I'll try and add later). Another great meal, at which I DID get dessert, actually more like 10 deserts by the time all was said and done. I also managed to hydrate myself with at least 8 (small) glasses of champagne. I was drinking mine and Ian's and the server never stopped re-filling. I couldn't let it go to waste though. Then we went back to my house and I got to open presents. Yay! I'm getting closet shelves and doors for our master bedroom!! Yes, these are exciting things in my life now. I also got some of the most comfortable folding lounge chairs in the world. Check'em out:
So why is it supposed to cool off this weekend? Boo. I wanted to work on my tan!
My sister and her fiancée also brought their doggie over to meet Kaiser. The cousins had fun playing.
My sister and her fiancée also brought their doggie over to meet Kaiser. The cousins had fun playing.



No comments:
Post a Comment