Thursday, June 4, 2009

Preventative Measures



This posts stems from an overall desire to be healthy and youthful as I age.

It hit me all of a sudden at my broth-in-law's 1st Communion that took place about a month ago. If you've never been to one, it's a regular mass, where the honorees dress up in suits and pretty white dresses, and get to take communion for the first time. When it's time, the kids' parents join them. If I remember correctly, there were about 80 kids..

I sat there watching parent after parent escorting their kids down the center isle to receive communion. I was so judgmental. I started looking at the parents and guessing what their kids would look like, if they were pretty, trendy, outgoing, dorky, chubby... I know, so awful. The kids were always a direct reflection of their parents.

And not that any of these characteristic are bad, not at all. I shouldn't explain it like I just did because who am I to decide what's pretty, dorky, or shy....and of course I wouldn't care one bit if my kids were any of those things. But it did make me feel like I'd rather be one of the youthful parents than one that looked old and frumpy. I want to make an effort to not let myself go. At least in public! LOL

I told Ian about my revelation afterward and he said he was doing the same thing! I explained to him that I need to start spending more money on clothes as we get older so I can keep up with the styles and be a "cool mom". Is that bad? =P

This was just the tip of the ice burg. I've since decided that I really need to step up my game with it comes to "maintenance". Mainly with regards to skin quality, as this is the most telling sign of age. I figure while I'm still relatively young and pre-kiddies, now is as good a time to start. Here's what I have so far:

-Wash and moisturize my face every night before bed (I'm so bad about this)
-Brush my teeth at least twice a day
-Floss every day
-Moisturize my hands, neck and chest (with SPF) every morning
-Eat out less, exercise more -- ya think Katie?
-Track my fertility for pregnancy prevention - figured this counts as a health regime, no?

Obviously (or maybe not? ha!) I shower every day and moisturize my face in the a.m. but I know it's not enough in the long run. Am I missing anything else? I know it will be hard to add all this to my daily routine but in reality, it's only about 5 minutes and I have no excuse! Do you all have trouble taking care of yourselves this way? I hope I can get adjusted!

And please let me know what your beauty secrets are and if there's anything you recommend me adding to my new routine!

3 comments:

MM said...

Great blog! I think most people struggle with this! I think the moisturizer is a big one. Also drink lots of water, that will help the skin!

Anonymous said...

I don't do much more than you do to prevent aging and you;re totally right--there is no excuse! One thing you should add to your list to to take a multi-vitamin every day. I've been trying to add more fruits and veggies to my diet but I kind of suck at it. =)

Jennie said...

I suck at this, too. Your blog is going to inspire me! :) The biggie for me is wearing sunscreen on my face and neck EVERY DAY, no matter the weather. I know I need to start wearing it on my hands and arms and moisturizing my hands every day, too. Apparently, you show your age most on neck and hands?

And wash your face every night before bed...I'm so lazy about that but I know it's helpful!