Thursday, July 16, 2009

Conquer the Cake

I signed up for a series of beginner cake decorating classes at "Do It With Icing" with my friend Verlee. So far, so good! As it stands, icing the cake is by far the hardest part...decorating it is pretty straight forward when you have all the right tools. Yes, it's all about the tools; tools = $$$ lol. We're half was through and I feel like I've learned a LOT, especially in the way of general cake baking, splitting and filling. Who knew it could be so involved?

This week we did a rectangle and boy was it tricky getting around those corners! To start with, I made a good pan investment so it'd come out nice and square. The key is also to bake it so it doesn't puff up too much in the middle. Tricks - lower oven temp, bake longer, and use these wet strip things (pictured below..find them at Michaels) around the outside edges. Worked like a charm!



Here is is after it got it's pretty icing layer. Ok, so maybe I haven't perfected "even-ness" yet but it's hard, man.



Meet Andy!!



See Andy's insides:



I'll leave you with a picture of Cake #1 from last week...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

How did I not get in on this? Sounds like so much fun.