4 T butter
1 lg onion, chopped
1 medium leek (white only, chopped)
1 lb can of pumpkin solid
4 cups chicken broth
1 t salt
½ t curry powder
¼ t nutmeg
¼ t white pepper
¼ t ginger (ground)
1 bay leaf
1 cup half and half
Melt butter, add onion and leek; cook 5 minutes until tender
Add pumpkin, chicken broth and spices
Bring to a boil
Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes; remove bay leaf
Put in blender to cream (food processor or emerssion blender work well too)
Add in half and half
This soup recipe is something I picked up from Ian’s step-mom. She serves it most years at Thanksgiving and I just love it so much that I make it a few times throughout the year for us to enjoy on our own. I got a ambitious last night and made my pumpkin solid fresh. It was a little labor intensive…not sure if I’d do it again but if you’re curious, here’s how:
1. Start with the little pumpkins (I read those are tastier). I ended up using two and put all of it in the soup
2. Cut the tops off and split them in half
3. Scoop out the inside gunk
4. Cut the pieces again so they’re quartered
5. Put them on a baking sheet…don’t oil or anything…leave em’ plain
6. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until fork tender
7. Peel off skin and put pieces into food processor to puree. You may need to add some liquid.
*I don’t think I baked mine long enough because the skin did not just peel off nicely! It was a PITA. I may try this one more time before I throw it in the “I tried…not worth the effort” category but we shall see. Try the soup though!! It’s really yummy with the can stuff.






1 comment:
Yummmmmmm I am so going to make this! It looks delicious!
Post a Comment