Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A/C Fiasco

I know it's freezing here in San Diego these days so talking about our air conditioner is a little out of context, but I figure I owed you.  Wear a sweater or something if that will help you get through this little post.

I think I eluded to our minor disaster a couple months back and never elaborated on it.  Wanna know why?  Well I hadn't downloaded the pictures until just today and was reminded of all the fun-ness.

Basically, we had been using our A/C pretty liberally over the summer.  One day, as I was doing #1 (or #2, can't remember, not relevant now, I guess) in the guest bath, I noticed some water under the sub floor lining that extended into the unfinished bath.  We established that it wasn't coming from me, or the toilet, so the only option we had was to start pulling boards.  It was sad.

We pulled and pulled until we didn't seen anymore water.  Studies showed it had come from beneath our A/C, through the wall, and down between flooring.  Thankfully, the house is not level and the water only went in one direction.  We would have been screwed if it'd gone into the spare bedroom as well...

Who knows how long the A/C had been leaking.  There was standing water under the unit and it probably took a long time for it to get as bad as did.  And more than likely, if it weren't for the break in flooring where the bathroom remains unfinished, it would have taken a lot more for us to ever know.

But now (yes, still now) we are left with our hallways looking like this.  Except they're dry now of course.  Fun Fun.


No comments: