I’m practicing up on my product reviews so I can guest post over at my girl Lindsay’s blog, Pretty As Peaches. She could use some more content for the regular people like me who need extra help, beyond makeup. Preggo Peaches is busy these days and hardly posts about anything but M.A.C. I like M.A.C. But I’m too cheap to go there every day to buy something from their gazillion new collections every week. She humors me by apologizing for M.A.C. posts now. I’m still a dedicated reader though, regardless.
I’ll admit it. I use the $30 Costco makeup brush set that I got last year for my birthday. It’s awesome though!! The handles are certainly showing some age after almost a year of use, but the bristles themselves are still soft as ever and make me happy.
Guess how often I’ve cleaned my brushes since I first got them? If you guessed 6 times, you are wrong. If you guessed zero times, you win a hug next time I see you.
Trust me, I know. It was getting a little absurd trying to apply foundation with a “full” brush that ended up leaving streaks all over my face until I worked it all in 5 minutes later. And when I’d apply shadow and the excess powder would fly all around my eye because it had nowhere else to go. My brushes needed a bath and they needed it in a bad, bad way.
As fate would have it, I received a small bottle of Sephora’s Purifying Brush Shampoo for Christmas. Happy happy joy joy.
I put –er to the test this weekend and she got the job done, that’s for sure! The directions say to put a small amount either in your hand, or on a smooth surface, and then gently swirl your damp brush though it as it lathers up. I opted to use my countertop surface to do my swirling. It was fun. Didn’t lather very much, but I could tell it was working as the clear wet surfaces turned lovely shades of tan, brown and pink. I rinsed and repeated 3 times total.
I have a feeling if you do this much more regularly, as is generally recommended by makeup people (right? or did I make that up?) then you would only have to shampoo your brushes once a sitting. But what do I know? I was a virgin brush cleaner until this weekend. I’ll try and do it again soon – like 6 months – haha – and see if I need to go through the lathering less than 3 times in order to get a totally clean foundation brush.
This morning when all my brushes were clean and dry, they felt great. No residue or anything funky going on. This little bottle will only set you back a couple bucks so if you’re looking for something, I’d definitely recommend the only brush cleaner I’ve ever tried!

2 comments:
Oh you crack me up! Love your review. You've cleaned your brushes 0 times??? I'm speechless. You can pick up a little bottle of baby shampoo in the travel items at Target and clean them. I use my facewash to clean mine. You're actually supposed to clean those babies about 5 times a week to avoid bacteria growth.
WHAATTT??? 5 times a week? That's maddness! That means you're pretty much supposed to wash them out after each use.... never gonna happen. LOL.
Post a Comment