It’d been a month or so since I took my fondant class and I hadn’t yet tried covering a real, edible cake with fondant. Figured that taking a test drive might be beneficial before I tried (and quite possibly failed) at making the cake for Yvette’s baby shower and Logan’s birthday in the weeks to follow. It was fourth of July weekend, so naturally I just went with it…

I know, nothing fancy. I just wanted to try a few things out, like covering the cake, obv. But also adding stuff to the sides, cutting out shapes and transferring them… stuff like that. I did learn a few things that helped me out big time the following weekend with the baby shower cake (coming up next).

Lesson #1 – Don’t worry about rolling the fondant out paper thin. It’s so much easier, and flawless looking, when it’s a tad thicker, and most people don’t eat it anyway.
Lesson #2 – When you roll and cut any sort of shape, and then try to peel it up and move to the cake, it stretches, deforms, gets ugly, makes you sad, frustrated, compulsive.. all that stuff. It’s much easier to roll on wax paper (or vinyl mat), cut, flip over onto cake and then peel back the surface you rolled onto. Then this way you also get the smooth bottom surface on the outside. I’m not sure what I would do with a non-symmetrical piece in this case, but for not, this is my tactic!
Lesson #3 – Work in a nice cool environment or everything will be too soft and sticky to work with.
This cake went with Ian to the fire department a couple days later. When he came home, he had a few special requests for next time – particularly an inappropriate cake for one of the guys. Of course I’m open to such requests, and a lot of you have seen my past talents in this regard. =P
I know, nothing fancy. I just wanted to try a few things out, like covering the cake, obv. But also adding stuff to the sides, cutting out shapes and transferring them… stuff like that. I did learn a few things that helped me out big time the following weekend with the baby shower cake (coming up next).
Lesson #1 – Don’t worry about rolling the fondant out paper thin. It’s so much easier, and flawless looking, when it’s a tad thicker, and most people don’t eat it anyway.
Lesson #2 – When you roll and cut any sort of shape, and then try to peel it up and move to the cake, it stretches, deforms, gets ugly, makes you sad, frustrated, compulsive.. all that stuff. It’s much easier to roll on wax paper (or vinyl mat), cut, flip over onto cake and then peel back the surface you rolled onto. Then this way you also get the smooth bottom surface on the outside. I’m not sure what I would do with a non-symmetrical piece in this case, but for not, this is my tactic!
Lesson #3 – Work in a nice cool environment or everything will be too soft and sticky to work with.
This cake went with Ian to the fire department a couple days later. When he came home, he had a few special requests for next time – particularly an inappropriate cake for one of the guys. Of course I’m open to such requests, and a lot of you have seen my past talents in this regard. =P
No comments:
Post a Comment