Thursday, July 15, 2010

Irish Car Bomb

In the form of a cupcake..


This is the same recipe that you can find all over the net now and I think it did originate at Smitten Kitchen. The cakes were certainly good, but a lot of work. I'm not sure it's really necessary to take out the middle of the cakes prior to filling them... I think I could probably just jam a piping tip in there and force the goodness in. We'll see about that next time!

One of the coolest things about making these was that I stumbled upon O'Connor's Irish Cream. Of course I had to try it! Had a big ol' glass on ice while baking up a storm and it was just as good as Bailey's, and nearly 1/3 the price. Can't beat that?




Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
Source: Smitten Kitchen

1 c. Guinness
1 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 c. sour cream

Ganache Filling
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
2/3 c. heavy cream2 tbsp butter, room temperature
2 tsp Whiskey

Baileys Frosting (I would double this part if you like some height to your cupcakes)
3 to 4 c. confections sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 to 4 tbsp Baileys

1 comment: