Tuesday, March 30, 2010

CSA

I was super excited to finally pick up my first CSA box last night! If you aren’t yet aware, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. There are all sorts of local farms offering programs that make it easy for us to eat nutritiously, organically, adventurously and cost-effectively. I just love the idea of getting quality produce that is chemical-free and straight from my neighborhood farm.

I decided to do a trial run the large box, every two weeks with Be Wise Ranch. They had the most convenient pick-up location for me on the way home from work but I’ve heard great things about many other programs as well.

Here’s what I got this week:

4 avocados
4 oranges
3 grapefruit
4 pounds strawberries
8 carrots
1 head broccoli
6 small red bell peppers
2 bunches asparagus
1 bunch cilantro
1 bag spring mix
2 more heads of lettuce varieties
1 bunch of dandelion greens
1 mysterious bag of unknown roots…




Only weird thing to me is the dandelion greens, but hey – we’re being adventurous right? I’ve found that you can cook them up like chard or something so I’ll have to give it a try. Oh, and as for the mystery bag, I think they’re probably radishes but I thought radishes were more round.

What do you think? Please confirm that these are radishes, por favor…



Overall, I’m very happy with the contents and look forward to using up all our goodies and having fun in the kitchen with ingredients we wouldn’t have ordinarily tried. I’ll update again after we’ve gone through it all and can attest to the quality, and the size of box for the two of us. It’s a LOT of food, especially greens, but I’m hoping I’ll just be motivated to eat better so that it doesn’t go to waste.

4 comments:

Helena said...

YUM! I can't wait to see what you create! You wanna cook me dinner Thursday instead of going out?! :)

Shunkyo Radish is in season so it might be that. It sort of looks like a French Breakfast Radish too though. Google both and you'll probably be able to figure it out comparing it in person.

Katie said...

Oh, I think they are the french breakfast radishes! cool.

I'd be happy to cook rabbit food for you on Thurs if you'd like. Whatever you want to do. =)

Anonymous said...

Don't make me join the CSA club. You know I want to.

Jennie said...

YUM!! That all looks amazing. I just signed up and can't wait to get my first box! You must share recipes!