Tuesday, March 23, 2010

MrBeer and a Carboy

I’ve got so many wildly entertaining blogs in the works and I’m trying to get it together! Let’s go back a couple weeks and see what my husband has been up to…

What do you know?!? BEER

Because Ian often likes to do what everyone else is doing, he decided he would brew his own beer. Hmm, that makes me think – everyone else is having babies too and yet he hasn’t really mentioned that one. Weird. Anyway, I guess home brew is popular amongst many of his fellow firefighters and he wanted in on the action.

Ian and Clint broached the subject of home brewing to me (you can refer to me as “boss” in this scenario, if you’d like) and I wasn’t entirely on board. I had bought Ian a MrBeer kit a few years back and he’d only ever used it once.

Here’s what a cute little MrBeer kit looks like:

But now he was wanting/wishing/demanding/asking/stating/call-it-what-you-will- to spend more mullah in order to move on to bigger and badder home brew kits. Was this just going to be a single day, costly hobby exploration? I was skeptical but alas, the boys had it all figured out. They would split all the start-up and material costs and share in their rewarding product. They ventured to Home Brew Mart and bought this stuff:



Everything you need to brew at home, in addition to a giant pot and some glass bottles.

And then the saga continues. I came home two Friday’s ago to a stinky-as-hell house! Boy did it reek. This is the smell of “cooked” beer I was told. Mmmmk…

Here they are cooking. Or should I refer to it as brewing at this point? Who knows.








Note that the most important rule in brewing is that you must be drinking a beer as you work. This was explained to me in a very serious fashion.


And here it is cooling off outside before it goes into the dark insides of a closet to ferment for a couple weeks or so.


They have since made an additional batch with MrBeer and bottled both. Once bottled, the beer must sit for an additional week+ while it gets carbonated. The MrBeer stuff was actually ready first and we have gotten to try it! Ian says he didn’t do something quite right with this one but I very much enjoyed it, actually. It was a little too sweet, he said. Soon we will be able to taste the big batch! I think my blog is going to have many future post about brewing beer. Hopefully that’s not too boring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I nominated you for a blog award on my page :)