Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mah Man

*Pretend I posted this in December, since that’s when I wrote it. It just took me 3.86794 months to get my act together and add pictures.*

So, about mah man. I mean, ya he’s always saved lives but now he gets to pull bodies (and pets) from burning buildings and extract people from smashed up vehicles. And he gets to do it looking like this:

So serious…


For the cat in the tree, he probably wouldn’t need the mask:


Just a ladder


Isn’t he hunky?

Anyway, that’s pretty much it. Mah man is a smokin’ hot firefighter now *hardy-har-har* with the City of Santee. I got to go to his little graduation where they put on a demonstration of what they’d learned in the academy. I was really glad I was able to see it all because I couldn’t really imagine what he was going through in the weeks before. He said it was the hardest thing he’d ever done. Harder than USMC boot camp.


Anywho, after the demo, the new guys got “stuff” to make them official after the City Clerk had them take an oath.

We got a tour of the training station, the trucks, etc. Lastly, the resident firefighters got up on the roof with big buckets of water, had the newbies pose for a picture down below and drenched them. Poor skinny guys were freezing their tails off after:


Ian wasn’t thrilled about starting this job. He was comfortable doing the paramedic thing and having to be a probationary firefighter now for the next year isn’t very exciting. But now that he’s gotten through the worst of it, he seems to have a better take on it. There is a huge sense of pride and commerodery amongst the guys (and one gal I believe). I know he’s going to do well and enjoy his new work family! I’m really happy for him.




**Update** Now that he’s been there for a few months, he’s getting ready for his first big test in April. It’s 2 days long with both written and practical skills portions. He’s pretty nervous but I know he’ll do great because he makes time to study in between hours of video-gaming. Dork.

No comments: