Sunday, April 25, 2010

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

nom nom nom.

I made these for my friend Jennie's book swap get together and they were a big hit! Great as a vegetarian appetizer. I might try them with some meat next time, served up with a nice salad for dinner.


*My recipe note - the package of egg roll wrappers I found in the store only came with 20 and I had a lot of leftover filling that I didn't know what to do with. Next time I'll get more wrappers, or have a back-up plan for the excess insides...


Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Yield: 24 eggrolls


2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 package egg roll wrappers (about 24 total)
Salsa for diping


In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers. Mix well to blend. Lay an egg roll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you and place ¼ cup of the filling in the center. Fold the tip closest to you up over the filling, roll a bit, then take the points pointing outward and fold them in toward the center. Continue rolling into an egg roll shape until a small part of the remaining point is still free. Dip a finger in water or beaten egg and lightly brush on the edges of the free corner. Finish rolling and press to seal closed. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.

Preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Lightly oil a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet seam side down and spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking. Serve warm with salsa.






shown with salsa (not my photo)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!!! These were so good! I can't wait to make them. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Virginia said...

Um, guess what I'm having for dinner this week? Looks delish!