Friday, April 30, 2010

Master Bath: Part I - Plan, man

In about a month or so, we hope to start work on our master bath (and probably master bedroom) overhaul. Like usual, when we say “we”, that means my dad. Hey, we pay the bills though and feed him, and supervise while drinking, etc! Give us some credit, ok?

For a while, I obsessed over colors, and pretty tiles, and fun sinks, and pretty much everything involved. Now that we’re closer, I thought I’d go ahead and share our inspiration. I have inspiration for our second bath as well, but I’ll save that fun-ness for another day.

To start, a mood board:



I’m pretty excited about actually having some color in our home, that is otherwise brown. This glass mosaic tile will be the big splurge and everything else will be done on the fairly-cheap. Our bathroom is so tiny so we also need to figure out how to incorporate as much storage as possible, probably with a cabinet above the toilet.

The current dilemma is the tile around the shower. The main wall will be the mosaic and the two short sides will be white or off-white? I think the white will look so much better and more fresh, personally. Especially if we have a white sink like Ian wants (even though I like the aqua glass one). The problem is that we have a nice, new set of “vanilla” towels that will go in here and I just don’t know if that will look right. Maybe it’s fine if there is a pretty blue wall behind where the towels go? I just don’t know.

So a while back, I ordered a sample of the tiles we like to make sure we liked them “in real life”. We had a winner and a loser. Winner being the mosaic, loser being the floor tile. It was sooooooooooooooo light in person. I know it would darken up with a finished glaze, but even still, was not what I expected. See:









Here’s the mosaic with a couple samples I picked up from HD, to try and decide between white and off-white. See how the white looks better?



That about sums up our plan, so far. Here are a couple inspiration pics I found… not the color combos so much as the tile/design ideas.







AND, I like this light:



2 comments:

Helena said...

I'm a little torn. I like the white sink but I actually like the off white next to the mosaic. There's a really cool light store downtown you should check out, it's a little spendy though. I'm excited to see it when it's all done!

Hannah Arevalo said...

So Matthew and I will just copy your whole house when we get one =) I love the bathroom ideas!