Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tooty Fruity Homemade Fruit Leather

I just wanted to say TOOTY. Can’t help it if that’s how I feel.

But I have been experimenting with homemade fruit leather. I can’t believe how easy and good it is. A perfect snack.

There are tons or recipes out there so I won’t really go into it. Plus, I don’t think I actually followed one – just threw a bunch of fruit (strawberries + kiwi + banana) into a saucepan, with a little water, juice of something citrus, and a tiny dash of sugar. Let it all simmer for a while, mash it up, simmer, puree in a blender, simmer some more until it’s thick-ish. Then spread it out onto a saran-lined pan, or two, or three, and let it dry out in an oven set to as low as possible (mine only goes to 170), for around 8 hours.

My first attempt was overnight. Which would have been fine if stupid me didn’t put it in early, around 8 pm, forcing me to get up around 3 am to check on it. Why do I have such idiotic moments sometimes? Anyway, on Saturday I was home, and awake the whole time to check on it, which was much better. The trick is to spread it out thicker than you’d think on the cookie sheet. My first try came out a little crispy on the edges cause it was too dried out. Leather = Thick! This last batch was a super success.
Ready to dry out:


So when it’s done, I just cut it into squares and put it on wax paper to store in a baggie. It really does come out like a store-bought fruit roll-up, only sans preserves. Score!

No comments: