Back Story – Our next door neighbors have two dogs. Sweet dogs that are huge and look really mean because they are thick, dark and have spiky collars. One is a Rottweiler and one a Doberman, I believe. When they play together, they sometimes knock down boards of our adjoining fence and pop on through to our yard, occasionally causing ruckus back there. I was very startled one day when I got home from work and went to let Kaiser out of his backyard kennel. As soon as I started opening the sliding doors, up ran the two dogs. I almost crapped myself. And poor Kaiser was stuck in his kennel thinking “what the heck are these guys doing in MY yard, playing and having fun, while I’m trapped in this silly cage!?!”. He was freaking out. Nothing us good neighbors can’t forgive though.
Back to this week. Following the last few nights of pleasant sleep, we have awoken in the morning to find poops by the back door, and Kaiser’s food bin knocked over. Two or three nights in a row. It was starting to tick us off and naturally, we thought it must have been the neighbors dogs. But if you know me, you know I am something of a poo-coinsurer and I knew that the poos were much too small for the big doggies next door. So yes, I pretty much took all that time to give you a back story that is no longer relevant to this traumatic experience.
Which brings us to last night.
Ian and I went to bed early, around 9:30. At 11 or so, I heard Erin (his sister) drop in and get something. She left the front door light on outside, which would be fine if it were installed correctly, but it’s not, so it started flickering like a strobe light outside our bedroom window. I get up to turn off the light and Kaiser dashes out into the living room. He started growling and barking hysterically at the sliding glass door. And then I see it… A freaky furry animal that is NOT a dog! But is curled up like a giant fluffy cat, darting away from Kaiser’s food. It was THIS, and it was scary:

Ian is awake now and of course he wants to shoot the animal. I think luckily for all of our sake, the thing was gone. But my heart was still racing. And Kaiser was not happy to be stuck with me inside. He wanted to hunt with his dad.
Alright, so we now have a culprit. It’s agreed that the only way for this ferocious animal to get into our yard, is up through the thick ivy that grows over the wall. Since it is technically the City’s ivy, we will be pushing it all over the top this weekend, and out of our yard…
I’m traumatized because I saw the crazy animal and it almost gave me a heart attack. Kaiser is traumatized because he saw it also and didn’t get to chase it. And he will NOT give it up. All night…pacing in our room…making obnoxious noises…not laying down and going to sleep. Finally, I take him out thinking he may just need to potty, but no, he just hangs out. I bring him back in. Still freaking out. I put him outside in his kennel (in case our evil ‘coon friend decided to show up). And the dog just barks, and barks. Ugh. So in he came again. Traumatized until early morning.
It was the LONGEST NIGHT EVER!! The end.
1 comment:
I think this counts as baby oopsie practice. Maybe you should just get used to no sleep and then you'll be ready! :)
Post a Comment