Thursday, May 14, 2009

He Goes Bananas

It is true. I am married to a man who doesn't much prefer scrumptious sweet treats that come out of an oven. Shocking as it be, he made a special request the other day -- that I make some more of that "really good bread" I made once before. Apparently he couldn't get enough of this homemade banana nut bread with chocolate chips! I'll admit, it is GOOD, especially as breakfast or dessert. But you could very well leave the chocolate out for a more traditional bread...I would add some extra nuts if I did that. =)

The original recipe was found on AllRecipes.com but the one I've posted below includes the modifications I made per reviewer suggestions.

Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread

Yield (2) 9x5 loaf pans or 1 bundt pan (I've tried both now and either is fine...but with 2 loafs you can easily freeze one for later)

1 cup butter flavored shortening
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
*Lowering the temp to 335-340 will reduce outside browning some...just let it cook on the longer side.

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the vanilla, mayonnaise and bananas. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture; stir just enough to evenly combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 75 minutes. Cool loaf in the pan for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's SO weird, I just made C.C. Banana Bread on Sunday!! Were twinsies :)