For my birthday, they offered to build us a hydroponics system in our backyard, which we got started on this past weekend. The type we decided to go with is the Nutrient Film Technique whereby a continuous, shallow stream of nutrient rich water flows over the bare roots through channels. I'll just go ahead and post our progress..
First thing they did was build a base on which to lay the piping/channels. This was made of 2x2" pieces of wood that angled out from the top in order to maximize sun expose on every level. The structure measures 6' across, 5' high and 2' out from the bottom. Before we could get much further, we tested the pump and realized that it wasn't powerful enough to get the water up from the reservoir to the top pipe. We need the flow to work right in order to determine the best angles to attach the channel pipes to the base. Here's a picture of phase 1:

I also learned all about starting the seedlings in these little greenhouses they sell at the nursery. This is so cool!! You get these little pellets that sit in a tray and expand into nutrient rich soil as soon as you add water. Then you just drop a couple seeds into each one, cover it up with the plastic lid, set it in sun, keep it moist and let it go! In a couple weeks, these suckers should be ready to transplant into the hydroponics system.
Oh but I will say, this particular system that we're building works best with lighter, smaller veggies like lettuces and herbs. We chose rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil, cabbage, spring lettuce mix, and two types of romaine...I think there was something else but I can't remember.
Pellets:



No comments:
Post a Comment