Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Diaper Bag D-R-A-M-A

I started getting really frustrated the more I looked at diaper bags online. There are just too dang many of them to sort my way through! All I knew was that I wanted something that still resembled a regular purse but would be awesomely functional for carrying baby crap. Based on input from friends, and my own preferences when it comes to bag-things, I was able to narrow my search based on some personal criteria.

I wound up with four bags that peeked my interest and ordered them all. I think most, if not all, fit my criteria so all I need to do is try them on for size, weight and functionality. What? This is serious stuff!

So without further ado, I present to you the four diaper bag contenders. *Listed in order of price, ranging from ‘reasonable’ to ‘guilty-unnecessary-pleasure-but-mama-deserves-to-treat-herself’. I tried for ‘economical’ as well but it just wasn’t working out:

Skip Hop ‘Studio’ Diaper Tote – Black $89


Pros – Lots of outside pockets in zip and open form; water resistant in and out; contrasting lining.

Cons – Cute but not REALLY cute; stroller straps but no adjustable shoulder strap; insulated side bottle holders on outside (I realized I'd prefer them inside, if at all).


OiOi ‘Baby’ Leatherette Tote - Black $159


Pros – Nice soft leather exterior; open exterior pockets - 2 with magnetic snap closures; detatchable shoulder strap AND stroller clips; unattached insulated bottle holder.

Cons – Black interior; exterior not water resistant; Ian actually had an opinion about this and wasn’t a huge fan of the studded design. (Do I care what he thinks? Meh. Not really.)


Storksak 'Olivia' Nylon Baby Bag – Black $198
Pros – Nylon inside and out for ease of cleaning; open exterior pockets; lightweight; two of my trusty friends own (and love) this same bag.

Cons – Two of my trust friends own this same bag ;)


Petunia Pickle Bottom 'Cake - Hampton Holdall' Diaper Bag - Black Walnut $335




Pros – Super cute print...unfortunately that's the only positive aspect, IMO.

Cons – Heavy; stiff; had a double closure top that would require a twist snap AND zip


Clearly I was able to rule out the Petunia Pickle Bottom right away. Thank goodness because I really wasn’t interested in spending that much.

For weeks I had pretty much ruled out the OiOi for no particular reason other than Ian hadn't like it I guess. I knew I didn't LOVE the Skiphop so I just figured I'd end up being a super follower and getting the Storksak that my friends have. I kept sitting on this decision until the whole thing was going to drive me mad and I just new I had to decide.

I tried on the Skiphop one last time and realized it was a definite no-go as the tote straps did not sit well on my shoulder. How annoying. So then I realized how important it was that the bag actually be comfortable to wear. DUH. I threw the Storksak over my shoulder and realized I was going to have the same problem of straps sliding down my shoulder ALL THE TIME. This would bother me to no end. *sad face*. So then I went back to the OiOi and what do you know? We have a winner!

After all that, who would have thought it would ultimately come down to which bag was the most comfortable to wear? I'm super happy to have this figured out and I think all the other positive things about the OiOi tote will be perfect for me and baby girl.


Diaper Bag - CHECK!


And now I’m in search of the perfect wallet. I NEED something smaller and non-black so it doesn't get lost in my new bag.  =P

No comments: