Thursday, August 11, 2011

Midwest – Indiana, Part 2

Over the next couple days, families left and we continued to see all that was Brown County Indiana.  

Funny story – In planning this reunion, our hosts emailed out a list of activities, sights to see, etc. to find out who was interested in what.  One thing that we saw on the list was “Downtown Nashville”.  So Ian and I were like – oh hell ya, we’d love to see Nashville.  We had no idea it was so close!  Come to find out (once we got to Indy) that they meant Nashville, Indiana.  WAY DIFFERENT.  

So anyway, we did go to downtown Nashville, IN, which was about a 10 minute drive.  We had a nice lunch, shopped a little, and then I enjoyed lots of water at a local brewery with Ian and my two sisters. 


This was so crazy!  There was a paid parking lot with an unattended booth and people just left their money in this little basket.  You know you're in a small (crime-less) community when....

Samplers at the local brewery

Mmmmm, water.

Later that afternoon we headed out to the swimming lake that was equipped with a floating trampoline, slide thingy.  Lemme tell you – it was NOT easy to hoist yourself up on to that thing.  Can you believe I somehow managed?  Thanks to Ian first shoving me up from below, and then pulling me the rest of the way from the top.  “Look out – pregnant lady rolling un-gracefully on to trampoline.”  I’m not sure why I really even wanted to get up there so bad; it’s not like I was going to be jumping around on it or diving off.  Meh.   But yes, it was a ton of fun for the kiddos. And Ian.  I spent most of the time just floating around on a noodle. 


Ian having fun

For our last full day in IN, whatever family was still in town rounded up to go on a tour of a sock factory.  Yep, you heard that right.  We saw how socks are made…  But not just any socks.  This was the largest novelty sock factory in the country.  Whoop Whoop!  ;)

I wasn’t supposed to take photos but I snuck these in during the intro presentation.   PSA – If anyone is in the market for novelty socks, here’s their website – For Bare Feet.


Dad is intrigued

Another sock machine.

Later that evening we went to the fair to see how my Aunt did in her “competitions”.  She’d entered a jar of jam, some squash, and a painting.  A winner on all accounts!



There wasn’t a whole lot else to do at this fair so we just watched my cousin’s kiddos ride the merry-go-round and the ponies.  One of them was semi-horny and it was extremely distracting.





Oh! I forgot to mention our lunch at Gnaw Bone that day.  I think that’s the name of the eatery and also the name of the town! World famous, apparently.  It was this sort of hole in the wall place at a gas station, with dining tables set up in the back storage area.  Totally classy… you know us!  Not gonna lie though – it was one darn good pork tenderloin sammie, with home fried potato chips.  I tried a gizzard but didn’t need to have more than one.

Aunt Mary

Mom in front of the "kitchen".  And to the left you can see where the tables were set up in the back shop/storage area.

Infamous sandwich with a side of gizzards.

No comments: